Companies have to look for new ways to solve emerging problems and tasks in a constantly changing external environment. A virtual data room is an effective tool for improving the company’s productivity. So, how to choose the right provider for your business?
Data room prospects for business
The virtual data room is a set of document management services that can be transported, convert paper files into digital documents, extract data, classify records, and prepare them for use in the company’s business processes. All records are in the cloud storage. The system guarantees security and data safety. Protected electronic storage is designed for reliable information storage in the catalog according to the hierarchy. They are available when needed.
Quite recently, businesses have viewed virtual data rooms with some apprehension. But the situation is changing radically. Big business is aware that it is no longer enough to offer a quality product to remain among the leaders. Optimizing internal processes to free up resources and avoid any delays and errors is necessary. Industry leaders – pharmaceutical, transport, mining, agricultural, and energy companies – were convinced of this from their experience after switching to data workflow automation.
Nowadays, the IT market presents many reliable data room vendors with unique utilities. But how to choose the right solution for your needs? Let’s look at a short guide.
How to choose a data room solution: a complete guide
For a successful and prompt transition to the data room, software must be selected, taking into account the specifics of the activities of a particular enterprise and the tasks ahead. It is preliminarily recommended to pass a full audit of business processes and then clearly determine what issues the software implementation will help to solve.
The ability of a product to handle an increased volume of transactions without restrictions is of paramount importance for large businesses and growing enterprises. The scale of involvement of workers in the system and the level of work optimization will directly depend on the listed properties. The following recommendations for choosing software will help you find the right solution at the lowest cost:
- Determine the total cost of using the product – most of the systems on the market include separate modules, for each of which you need to pay. Calculate how much it will cost to maintain the server, place it in the electronic storage, license it for users, provide technical support, and install the product.
- Specify the functions available to users – advanced solutions contain additional tools for management. The wider the functionality, the less subsequently it will be necessary to modify the software and carry out integrations. Functions such as working as a constructor for creating management reporting, software for digitizing papers, an application for controlling versions of documents, etc., will help facilitate the work.
- Assess the product’s scalability – this approach will allow users to customize the operating functions of the system, taking into account the needs of the business. Otherwise, you will have to pay a lot for integration and software development.
- Consider the user interface – a convenient user interface improves the quality of work with the software and increases labor productivity. A menu in the data room, built-in desktop customization, an intuitive layout of functions, and a constructor for visualizing processes are important.
- Find the list of technical support services – the support service should quickly help eliminate technical errors and advise and train users. Having a forum and various options for contacting service specialists would be good.
In addition, before purchasing the data room, it is recommended to test the trial version or use demo access. It will help to clearly understand whether the product is suitable for further permanent work.